Mitre 10 Privacy Statement Summary
Our privacy statement will be updated with effect from 1 November. To view our updated privacy statement, please click here.
Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited values and respects your privacy. In fact we’re a leader in this field being one of the very first retail organisations in New Zealand to hold Data Warranty Register (DWR) Certification issued by the NZ Marketing Association.
The DWR was developed by the NZ Marketing Association to provide consumers with the confidence that organisations, like Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited, carrying the DWR Trustmark will treat personal information with absolute respect and privacy, in accordance not only with New Zealand law but also to industry best practice standards (which often exceeds the requirements under the law).
About this privacy statement
This Privacy Statement is in relation to information collected by Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited. It details how Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited collects, uses, and shares the information we collect from our customers. This helps to improve the overall shopping experience and to provide relevant information about Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited products, services, and promotions.
Your local Mitre 10 store is operated by the local Mitre 10 Member who may also collect information. In such situations this information is only accessible to that store and in such instances will be subject to that store’s own Privacy Statement.
What information might Mitre 10 collect?
Customers may choose to provide us with personal information, such as:
- Contact information - such as your name, billing and/or shipping address, telephone number, email, postal address.
- Demographic information - such as your date of birth, gender.
- General interest information – such as your DIY preferences and capabilities.
- Loyalty program information – such as your Fly Buys or AirPoints number.
- Account (and payment) information – such as your usernames, passwords, payment information and credit history.
- Purchase and returns history – such as specific products purchased and the dates purchases may have occurred.
- Social contact information – such as any information submitted in a public forum – like blogs and community chats, etc.
- Website information – such as browser cookies and PCT tags to track the pages visited and visitor journeys taken.
- Mobile information – such as location data obtained from mobile devices’ GPS.
- Competitions/sponsorship information – such as entries into company sponsored contests, surveys, sweepstakes or focus groups.
How we may use information
How your personal information will be used by us will depend on the circumstances in which that information is collected. This helps to improve the overall Mitre 10 shopping experience of our customers.
You can opt in to receive emails, mail, telephone calls and/or text messages from us and you can opt out at any time. All you need to do is change your Interest Groups in the Preferences section of My Account. But remember, if you do opt out, you could miss out on offers and news.
Specific purposes for which your information might be used include:
- To improve our range of products, services and promotions (including assessing trends and customers interests).
- To provide you with details of Mitre 10 products, services and promotions.
- To provide details of our partners’ promotions that we reasonably believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalise communications/promotions.
- For security purposes.
- To communicate with you about your account or our relationship with you.
To do this, your personal information held by us may be combined with your personal information held by selected partners and service providers.
We may also use the information in other ways but will provide notice of this at the time it is collected.
How we protect your personal information
Mitre 10 maintains the highest standards of administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the personal information you provide to us against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use and other unlawful forms of processing. While we use industry standard means to protect our websites and your information, the Internet is not 100% secure. The measures we use are appropriate for the type of information we collect.
Sharing of information
We may share your personal information with:
- our service providers for the purposes set out under ‘How we may use information’ above; and
- our selected partners for the purpose of tailoring offers that we reasonably believe may be of interest to you.
We might authorise our selected partners and service providers to collect information on our behalf. We may also share information with the suppliers and manufacturers of our products and services to respond to your reviews and questions, and to contact you in the event of a product recall (or similar).
We may share anonymised and/or aggregated information about our customers with selected suppliers, manufacturers and other partners.
We may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process; or (ii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss; (iii) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity; or (iv) to assist in collecting debt owed by you.
We may share information with Mitre 10 Member stores and gather information from Mitre 10 Member stores ensuring compliance with this Privacy Statement at all times.
We reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets. Should such a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to direct the transferee to use personal information you have provided to us in a manner that is consistent with our Privacy Statement.
Links to other websites
This website may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with us. Linked websites, including those operated by Mitre 10, may have their own Privacy Statement notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit them. We are not responsible for the content of any websites that we do not control, any use of those websites or the privacy practices of those websites.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like us to update information we have about you, please contact us by:
- Email at [email protected] or click here now
- Post at: Privacy Officer, Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Ltd Private Bag 102925 North Shore Auckland 0745
Your information will be held by us at 46 View Road, Wairau Valley, Auckland 0627
Updates to our Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement may be updated periodically and without specific prior notice to you personally to reflect changes in our personal information practices or relevant laws.
Last updated: This privacy statement was last updated 28/09/2015