Trust means a lot to us at Mitre 10. Generations of Kiwis have shopped at and trusted Mitre 10 and we want that to continue into the future. We’re committed to treating personal information with care and respect.
Information we collect from you
Most of the personal information we collect about you is provided by you directly during your interactions with us at our stores or on our website, www.mitre10.co.nz, including when you become a member of our loyalty programmes or other loyalty programmes we’re a part of.
We always take care to ensure that we only collect personal information needed to provide our services and help run our business. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact and identification information – for example, your name, gender, date of birth, address, telephone number, email address and signature.
- General interest information, such as your DIY preferences and capabilities.
- Loyalty programme information, such as your Airpoints™ number (for more detail on this see below).
- Account and payment information, including bank and credit card details, and for credit account customers, information about your credit history.
- Purchase information, such as specific products or services purchased, dates of purchase and any returns. This includes if you engage or seek a quotation for a product and/or service from a third party that we use to provide that product and/or service to you.
- Video footage or still images, where our stores operate video surveillance systems (wherever you see video surveillance systems and/or a sign notifying you “CCTV IN OPERATION” or similar, including in-store and in our carparks).
- The number plate of the vehicle you have used to visit our store, if that store uses an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system.
- Social contact information, including any communications via social media, complaints, feedback and other contact you have with us.
- Contact and similar information if you are a supplier or service provider, in connection with the supply of products and services by your business to Mitre 10.
- Digital information, such as cookies, pixels, software versions used, device identifiers (like IP address), location data (where available and not disabled by the user), dates, times, file metadata, referring website, data entered, and user activity such as links clicked app installations, app launches, adding items to a basket, adding items to a wish list and making purchases.
Information we collect from others
In certain circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties.
We’ll only do this if you’ve been told first, where permitted by law or where you have authorised another agency to share that information. It is important that you read the privacy policies for all agencies you deal with, as you may be permitting the sharing of personal information with us when using those services.
In particular, we may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
- Airpoints™ Programme – We are proud to participate in the Air New Zealand Airpoints programme. If you’re an Airpoints member, we may collect personal information about you from Air New Zealand and other Airpoints partners. This may include information about your purchases from other partners and more general information about your preferences and purchasing habits.
- Publicly available sources - including from agencies such as the Companies Office, internet search platforms and social media platforms, such as Facebook and Linkedin.
- Credit reporters – If you apply for a Smart Mate or other account with us, we may collect credit information about you with your consent. This information helps us to assess your application for credit.
- Anyone sharing information with us to help us manage loss prevention, retail crime and public safety, including other retailers and law enforcement agencies.
How we use personal information
We primarily use the personal information we collect about you to ensure that you receive the best products and services from us. We want to add value to your DIY experience, and your personal information helps us to make sure we get this right.
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To fulfil orders and deliver products and services to you.
- Managing our relationship with you, including contacting you about your purchases and/or account.
- To assess any application that you make to us for a SmartMate or other account.
- Considering feedback and complaints that you may make to us.
- To determine your product or service preferences and preferred store locations (for example, through the use of mobile applications), or to direct you to your closest store when using our websites or mobile applications.
- To undertake data processing, data analysis, market research or trend analysis.
- To monitor customer traffic in our stores and identify frequently visited locations in our stores.
- Enabling us or (if you’re an Airpoints™ member) Air New Zealand or Airpoints partners to identify and make meaningful and relevant offers to you.
- Enabling us, or (if you’re an Airpoints member) Air New Zealand or Airpoints partners, to operate and develop our businesses more generally.
- In the case of our suppliers, to manage the supply of products and services to us and our customers.
- Managing and monitoring our risks, including:
- preventing and detecting the commission of offences in our stores;
- ensuring the safety of our customers and team members;
- identifying and investigating health and safety hazards or incidents;
- undertaking product recalls;
- recovering any unpaid debts or other monies owing; and
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations and any lawful requests from government agencies or regulators.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes, either after notifying you at the time of collection or where those uses are otherwise permitted by law.
How we share personal information<
Sometimes, we need to disclose personal information to third parties in order to carry on our business.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- Trusted third parties involved in providing products and services to you, such as product suppliers, couriers, tradespeople and installers.
- Our trusted service providers, who provide other administrative and operational services to us in connection with our business, such as IT service providers, advertising agencies and payment processers.
- Third party platforms who serve advertising or content (including personalised advertising) based on your personal information or preferences (including social media platforms such as Facebook).
- Air New Zealand and other Airpoints™ partners, to meet the Airpoints programme purposes set out above.
- Debt collection agencies or credit reporters as part of the account set up and debt recovery process.
- The Mitre 10 network, and other local retailers, where we reasonably believe it is necessary in order to protect staff, customers or property or to assist other businesses to do the same.
- Law enforcement agencies, where we reasonably believe it is necessary to assist with the management of retail crime.
- Our professional advisers, where required to enable any such adviser to provide services to us.
- Other persons disclosed to you at the time the relevant personal information is collected.
Opting out of offers
From time to time, we will send you offers of products and services because we want to make sure you’re getting the best out of us.
But, we know that sometimes you might not want to hear from us in this way. We respect that. You can opt out of receiving offers from us at any time. To do so, sign in to www.mitre10.co.nz and change your preferences or use the unsubscribe function in our promotional emails. For offers from your local store, contact them in-store.
You can also opt out of receiving offers from Air New Zealand. To contact Air New Zealand for this purpose, please refer to Air New Zealand’s privacy statement on the Air New Zealand website.
How we keep your personal information secure
The personal information we collect about you is held by Mitre 10 NZ, our stores and by our trusted data storage providers (which may include storage in ‘cloud’ facilities).
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is protected against loss, unauthorised use, access or disclosure and any other misuse, and we require our trusted service providers to do the same, even where they may store or process personal information overseas. However, please note that whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal information that you provide to us, no electronic transmission or storage can ever be guaranteed secure.
Where our stores operate CCTV systems, they ensure that access to CCTV footage is limited to staff who have a legitimate purpose to view and use it.
We retain your personal information only for as long as we need it and we destroy the information we no longer need in a secure manner. CCTV footage is automatically deleted on a regular cycle, though in some cases it may be retained for longer where necessary to investigate an incident or assist the Police to investigate an offence.
If you’re an Airpoints™ member, your personal information may also be held by Air New Zealand or its contractors. To find out more about Air New Zealand’s privacy practices, please refer to Air New Zealand’s privacy statement on the Air New Zealand website.
Your rights to access or correct your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of any personal information Mitre 10 holds about you, or to ask us to correct it if you believe it is inaccurate.
To make a request about your personal information, email us at [email protected] or write to us at Privacy Officer, Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Ltd, Private Bag 102925, North Shore, Auckland 0745.
If you believe that your local store holds personal information about you – such as CCTV footage – then you can contact your local store to request it.
If you’re an Airpoints™ member, you can also request a copy of the personal information Air New Zealand holds about you as part of this programme. To contact Air New Zealand for this purpose, please refer to Air New Zealand’s privacy statement on the Air New Zealand website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by businesses not affiliated with us. Linked websites may have their own privacy statement, which we suggest you review if you visit them.
We are not responsible for the content of any websites that we do not control, any use of those websites or the privacy practices of those businesses.
Cookies and Third Parties
We want our advertising and information on our websites and related services to be relevant and interesting.
Cookies are necessary to protect your privacy while disclosing your address details and while logging in and allow us to provide an optimal experience when using our website. Please note if you choose not to allow cookies, you may not be able to access all the services on our website.
We also promote our products and services using technology partners, such as Google Remarketing, as a method of targeting our advertising based on how you interact with our website. This means that you may see ads from us when you visit other websites. You can opt out of Google's, and our, use of these cookies by visiting Google's Ads Preferences Manager. View Google's advertising privacy policies.
In the unlikely event that you become aware of a potential data breach involving Mitre 10, please let us know so we can fix it as quickly as possible. Please contact our Privacy Officer by emailing [email protected].
Any further questions or complaints
Where we have refused a request for access to, or correction of, personal information or where you have any other concerns about the way we have handled your personal information, you have the right to make a complaint.
In the first instance, please let us know about your concerns by contacting our national Privacy Officer using the contact details set out above. We’ll do everything we can to put the matter right, but if we can’t resolve your complaint for you, then you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- Completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz; or
- Writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.
Last updated: 3 December 2020