Invercargill’s first Mitre 10 store was opened in 1982 under the ownership of Jac Morshuis. Following the share market crash five years later H & J Smith had the opportunity to buy the Invercargill franchise then situated on Yarrow Street.
On the 28th April 1990 we opened a newer much larger store next to H & J Smith on Esk Street (it went from an 8,000 sq ft store to a 25,000 sq ft store). It proved to be a good move as we were awarded runner-up as Store Of The Year at the 1991 Mitre 10 AGM.
By 2000 it became evident we needed to grow again, this was driven by a need to service the trade market to a greater level. So when the MEGA idea was announced our search was on for a suitable site. The Woolworth’s supermarket was purchased on the current site on the Corner of Elles Road and Tay Street and construction commenced.
On the 10th of March 2005 our Mega Store had its Grand Opening, officially opened by Mayor Tim Shadbolt. The Grand Opening was in fact planned for six weeks earlier however the wind blew so strongly for 42 consecutive days that not a single sheet of roofing iron could be applied!
In the winter of 2017 the store completed an upgrade which involved nearly every product in the store relocating.
- Address: Elles Road, Invercargill
- Phone: 03 219 9000
- Fax: 03 219 9001
- Email: [email protected]
- Postal Address: PO Box 1304, Invercargill,
- Store Manager: Tracy Key
- Monday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Public Holidays: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.