- 4 egg yolks or 3 whole eggs
- 100g sugar
- 400ml cream
- 200ml milk
- 1 punnet boysenberries (1½-2 cups frozen berries)
- Lightly beat the eggs and sugar, then add cream and milk.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture forms a thin custard.
- Cool, then refrigerate for at least two hours before adding boysenberry flavouring (see below) and freezing in an ice-cream maker. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, make the custard using all the milk, but only 200ml cream.
- Before freezing, add flavouring, then whip the remaining cream and fold into the flavoured custard.
Boysenberry flavour: Heat fruit gently with sugar (no water) until the juice runs, then check sweetness, adding more sugar if necessary. Purée, sieve or put through a Mouli to remove pips. Chill and add to custard before freezing.